Friday, October 14, 2005

Vogue Fall '05 Lace Shawl (#15) complete!



I loved the look of this shawl in Vogue Knitting Fall '05, pattern #15, designed by Deborah Newton. The sample in the magazine was made from cashmere...and 1500 yards of worsted weight cashmere! I could not imagine this shawl taking that much yarn, so I made it using Lamb's Pride Superwash wool in Midnight Pine. I ordered 7 skeins (1400 yards) and used 6 full skeins (1200 yards). The pattern called for size 8 needles and somehow, I worked mine with a 32" size 9 Addi Turbo circular needle. That was an accident! I think a tighter knit would have been better and if I make this again, I'd use a size 8. The borders are especially loose and would be better on a smaller needle. The final size is 25" x 72", which is just right. This shawl took me two weeks to complete.

Would I make it again? Maybe, but I would not use the lace border included in the pattern. It was not to my liking, but that's a personal choice.

Like my other shawls, this will be given to the local cancer centre to warm and comfort a patient undergoing cancer treatment.

2 comments:

whatever said...

OMGoodness, you are a fast shawl knitter! This one is on my after Christmas shawl list...love it...your's is gorgemous!! As are all of your shawls, my friend

Beatriz said...

This is on my To Knit list. I started it last year, and it didn't do anything for me at the time. I love how yours came out in green, just like the mag photo. Your work has inspired me to try again.