Tuesday, October 09, 2007

More (and more!) socks!







Here's the second sock finished in the Lorna's Laces Cornucopia yarn and another pair just finished in Cherry Tree Hill Supersocks in African Grey. I don't get the name, but the yarn is gorgeous! I call the CTH socks my "Comedy Of Errors" socks because...well, they were a comedy of errors! I started off with a six-stitch pattern from More Sensational Knitted Socks. Great! So, off I went and cast on 72 stitches on a size 2 needle because my last pair of socks worked up nicely using 72 stitches. About 3 inches into the sock, I realise I have a BIG problem! The previous socks were done on a size 1 needle and these socks are huge!! Frogged them and started over by casting on 64 stitches and started working the P1, K4, P1 ribbing. Hmmm...2 stitches short. Gee, I thought I counted 64 stitches. No matter, I knit on two more stitches and off I go! Everything worked great until I got to the heel flap. I still had the thought of 64 stitches so I worked the heel flap on 32 of those stitches. You know where this is going! Now my instep had 34 stitches and the pattern didn't center over the instep. Grrrrr....what I should have done was cast on 60 stitches, not 64! I managed to finish the socks and worked the second sock in the exact manner so whilst they were a comedy of errors, they turned out OK. I learned a lesson though...count thy stitches TWICE!

For the technical details, the Lorna's Laces were knit using a size 1 needle with 72 stitches; the CTH on a size 2 needle with (shame!) 66 stitches.

I've just started another pair of socks using Dream In Color Smooshy in Dusky Aurora. What's the big deal about this yarn anyway?? Well, I know...it's gorgeous yarn!! So soft, so lovely to work. It's fast becoming my favourite. Stay tuned for photos!

3 comments:

rohanknitter said...

Beautiful socks!!
Love the colorways.
(an african grey is a parrot)
: )

Mari said...

I know that an African grey is a parrot, but I don't get how the yarn matches up to the bird. I've never seen an African grey parrot that is purple, orange, yellow, and teal!

ZippyZinnia said...

My goodness, Mari, everytime I see your website, you have new socks or a new throw. You must be one heck of a speed knitter! And of course, everything is always lovely.
Angie AKA Beanermom (KR)