Saturday, April 22, 2006

Pemberley Lace Shawl - Complete!




This is the Pemberley Lace shawl from St. Seraphina Knits. The pattern is very simple and produces a beautiful shawl in short time! The pattern calls for about 800 yards of sport or DK weight yarn. I used Shepherd Colours 4 Me 8 ply 100% superwash wool yarn (DK weight) and has 88 metres per ball. I used 10 full balls with a size US8 32" Addi Turbo needle and had just a few yards of yarn left. The finished shawl measured 24" by 78" when blocked. I didn't rush to complete this shawl as I had a couple pairs of socks calling to me, but my estimate is that it would have taken me about a week to complete if this had been my only project.

This shawl will be given to an elderly aunt of a dear friend. It's machine washable wool, which will make it easy for the family to care for it. I've got lots more of this yarn in several other colours that I bought it at the Classic Elite warehouse sale for only $15 for a bag of 10 balls. Such a deal!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very, very nice. This is going on my pattern list as well. A wonderful gift! What will your next project be?

Mari said...

Thanks, Sherilan! My next project is already on the needles. I'm making a Flower Basket shawl using Elsebeth Lavold's Silky Wool in a pretty shade of green. I hope to have it finished next weekend, so stay tuned! I also have some socks in the works, too. They're just anklets like the others I've posted, but this time, I'm using Knit Picks' Dancing. We'll see how they turn out, but right now, I'm not having any trouble. We'll see!

Unknown said...

I just spent the last half hour looking at your shawls --- they are wonderful!!! You are so productive!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Your Pemberley shawl looks great! I just started one but ran into a question. The pattern sounds like the M1 is really meant to be a yarn over. Did you do a regular M1 (picking up the stitch), or did you do a yarn over as the M1? I appreciate your help because I've started as yarn overs and am wondering if I should frog and start again as real M1's.

Mari said...

Hi Anne,

I had the same question, but the Abbreviations say that M1 is done by wrapping the yarn around R needle to make 1 new st. OK, so why not just say YO?!?!? I did a YO for those and got nice results.

One other thing...for the last 6 rows of garter st, I purled them instead of knitting them. My reasoning is that the last row of a pattern repeat is a purl row. If I then started with a knit row for the garter st border, that would leave a ridge, which I didn't want. It would have looked like 2 rows of stockinette stitch followed by 5 rows of garter stitch. I didn't want that, so after I finished row 12 of the last repeat, which is a purl row, I did 6 more purl rows and cast off. Yes, I'm picky...